Saturday 9 February 2008

DIARY OF "SINS"


FIRST-WEEK…, “It’s 5 o’clock, dear!” My mom announced. She switched on the light in my room and left. “Oh, no!” I muttered, rolling off the bed. “Omo wase, omo rise!” Ayo, my younger sister sang from her room opposite mine. “Wait till I get my first salary…” I replied. In no time, I was in and out of the bathroom. What to wear? Black suit, white shirt is formal. It took me ages to get dressed. “Let’s say a prayer before you go”, dad said. Everyone was excited: Junior is starting his first job….As I stepped out; all the confidence in the universe deserted me. Anxiety suddenly became my companion. Soon I was lost in the throng of some faceless majority- hustling and bustling. And I hated Lagos again for the uncountableth (sic) time. “Mr. Ben Tiwa, jnr?” Yes, no other birds are the hawk- I nodded in the affirmative. ”Please, come with me”, the well-structured feminine figure said. Without querying her, I followed like a lamb being led to the slaughter. Who wouldn’t? “Welcome to our Organization…” a sonorous voice announced after taking me on a guided tour of the company’s facility. “Thank you. It’s a pretty place,” I said. “The faces I saw are lovely too!” “Come see your office…” the voice requested like the voice of a kindred spirit. From the 6th floor, we soon arrived on the 1st floor- my domain. “So have a nice day ahead!” she said and shut the door. I was now alone- with question and exclamation marks hanging over my head-in my first office ever…Suddenly, I began sweating profusely in the air-conditioned office. Has work already started? This is just the first day-can’t they see? I pondered sheepishly. Soon I was placed on attachment to get acquainted with the organization’s six companies. It was an inspiring exploration…

No comments: